This Specifications Apple iPhone 6:
• Processor: A8 64-bit ARM with M8 motion coprocessor
• RAM: 1GB
• Storage: 16GB, 64GB, 128GB
•Screen: 5.5in, 1920x1080 401ppi LED; 1300:1 contrast ratio
• Operating system: iOS 8
• Camera: back: 8MP with 1.5micron pixels, f2.2, Optical image stabilisation, 240fps video, sapphire lens cover, auto-HDR, face detection, 43-megapixel panorama, burst mode 10fps; 1080p video at 30fps or 60fps. Front camera: 1.2MP (1280x960), f2.2, 720p HD, burst mode.
• Connectivity: LTE, Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.0 with BLE, NFC; VoLTE (voice over LTE) capability, Wi-Fi call handoff capability
• Dimensions: 158.1 x 778 x 7.1mm
• Weight: 172 gram
• Others: TouchID fingerprint sensor; NFC payment capability for ApplePay
The 6 Plus has optical image stabilisation (OIS) - long a staple of top-end Nokia (now Microsoft) Lumia phones - so that films taken while moving aren’t jerky.
Screen and usability
Many apps will need rewriting to deal with the new screen, which feels as though it inflates text in apps that don’t use Apple’s text system. Then again, those who struggled to read text on the 4in screen of the iPhone 5 will welcome the extra 88% of screen real estate.
The iPhone 6 Plus costs from £619 (inc VAT)/$749 (ex taxes) for 16GB storage.
Choosing between the iPhone 6 Plus and the smaller iPhone 6 could be surprisingly difficult if your hand, and your wallet, is large enough. It is large, yet the extra screen space is a boon. Compared to other phablets, it’s lighter and thinner – but not cheaper
Pros: large and thin; bright screen; best battery life of any iPhone; adaptations for extra-large screen; iOS 8 allows third-party keyboards, workflow extensions and widgets
Cons: pricey; may be unwieldy if you don’t have particularly large hands